Monday, November 01, 2004

Brief Encounter with "the Scone"


Bigleaf.JPG
Originally uploaded by Rozanne.
I apologize if anyone found my last blog entry to be overly caustic. This one is certified 100% bile free--a bit of a feat considering it is (very atypically) sort of about politics.

I had anticipated that tonight's blog entry would be glistening with entertaining anecdotes about the canvassing I did this evening for Carry Oregon. However, while I'm certainly glad I did it, really nothing at all of interest happened. At the very least, I expected that some old man would bellow at me to get out of his sight, thus reducing me to a chattering jelly. But everyone was exceptionally cordial.

The most noteworthy event of my day occurred on my way to the Kerry headquarters. Standing daringly close to a dangerous intersection was Jim "the Scone" Francesconi (one of Portland's mayoral candidates). He was waving at traffic, but he looked for all the world like a mechanical waxen figure. It was incredibly spooky! (I wonder if he'd been there since yesterday and, if so, what kind of a candy haul he scored.)

I guess I must have been gaping, because he caught my eye, turned his entire body robotically toward me, and waved hopefully at me. At that point, I just felt bad for him. He's spent oodles of money on his campaign, but he is so despised by most Portlanders, he's probably going to lose. I couldn't help but wave back to the poor, friendless waxwork.

You may be puzzled by the photo that graces this entry and wonder how it relates to the content. It is a photo of a lovely yellow bigleaf maple leaf and my size 7 hiking boot, which is included to give a sense of scale. The stem alone is quite impressive, don't you agree? Anyway, the photo is meant to serve as a sort of a sneak preview of a blog entry I will be writing later this week (if all goes well).

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Cow! That leaf is huge. I love nature...it always amazes me.

Denise
And So It Goes

10:59 AM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

The first time I ever saw a bigleaf maple leaf, I was just floored--and clearly I still am.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Very cool! I love botany. We have bigleaf magnolias in our woods that totally amaze me.

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, Oregon my Oregon.
Kismet

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|