Monday, January 24, 2005

The Smell of Spring


Witch Hazel 'Diana'
Originally uploaded by Rozanne.
I nipped out to the garden for a few minutes today to find that my witch hazel (pictured here) is blooming, as are a few hellebores and violets. There is a wonderful scent in the air that I definitely associate with spring. It's been in the 50s and 60s for the past week. Winter is on it's way out. For those of you shoveling snow in the Midwest or Northeast let me be clear--I'm not gloating, I'm marveling. I spent 93% of my life in the Midwest, so I know what you're dealing with and please know you have my sympathy.

Weather. Bored yet? If not, perhaps you'd like to hear a progress report on the bathroom and--for good measure--a cat story. Well--surprise, surprise--the bathroom is still torn up. Rusty, however, is immensely pleased because the door is now off its hinges, so the bathroom is no longer off limits to him. He spent the greater part of the weekend standing in front of the closed door attempting to fine-tune the patheticness factor of his meowing--to no avail.

As soon as the workers left this morning, he hopped into the tub and began making himself comfortable on the none-too-clean, balled-up drop cloth wedged between the toilet and the tub. I'm not sure if he was gearing up for a nap next to his new pal, the footloose and fancy-free toilet, or if there was some mesmerizing chemical residue on the drop cloth that he was grooving on. I took photos, so if you'd like to posit your own theory about what he might have been trying to accomplish, click here, here, and here.

10 Comments:

Blogger Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

I have given up on trying to predict the behavior of cats. Your cat seems "normal" as defined by "normal for a cat".

I can't WAIT for spring. We moved into our new house at the beginning of fall, so this spring will be an abundance of surprises as things pop out of the extensive landscaping (the previous owner are people I know and they downright admitted he landscaped so he wouldn't have to mow.) Judging by their taste in wallpaper, I can imagine what will be be forthcoming.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

With all the problems as of late surrounding the Blogger Commenting program, can I blame it on my severe lack of grammar and spellchecking in my previous comment?

10:09 AM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Cagey,

Yes. Blame whatever you like on the Blogger commenting system. For example, I'm sure the questionable wallpaper in your house is probably the fault of the Blogger commenting system. (BTW: I didn't think your comment was as problem riddled as you made out.)

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, in that case I am going to blame the Blogger post system for the fact that I haven't worked out in over two weeks.

Thanks for that Blogger!
Denise
And So It Goes

3:51 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Rusty looks like he is content.. His coat is such a great color.

I begrudge no one an early spring..enjoy!!!

7:42 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Denise,

Be my guest. I think I'll go ahead and blame Blogger for the fact that I'm too weary to post anything tonight.

Sharon,

I'm not sure, but Rusty may have spent the night in the tub. He was sleeping there when we went to bed last night. Go figure.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Jillyvanilli said...

I could eat Rusty between 2 slices of bread. So yummy!

11:18 AM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Jilly,

We often call Rusty "the big ol' jar of marmalade."

8:11 PM  
Blogger Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Can cats get restraining orders? Rusty might need one from the likes of Jilly. :-)

3:42 AM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Cagey,

Jilly's over in the U.K., so I'm not too worried.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|