Tuesday, August 24, 2004

I've Got to Make More of an Effort!

I just read a blog that I thought was pretty good, and it turns out it was written by a 17-year-old boy!

I just do not know what the heck I did with my teen years and twenties. Can I be excused because the Internet, as an outlet for creativity, did not exist back then?

I used to think that I had no regrets about the past, but now I really wish I would have pushed myself to do a bit more than just hold down a job.

So in my free time what did I do from age 20-29? Let's assess:

  • Went running every evening after work until I decided I wanted to still have functional knees after the age of 35.
  • Learned to play the guitar but lost interest after learning to (sort of) play "Stairway to Heaven."
  • Built up my music collection.
  • Frittered away more than a few Saturdays taking two hours' (each way) worth of public transportation to the Mall at the End of the Universe (Cringe!).
  • Worked as a hotline volunteer for a nonprofit tenants organization, saving countless tenants from the clutches of their evil landlords.
  • Took a solo trip to Scotland that was one of the most empowering things I've ever done.
  • Managed to not advance at all at my job.
  • Smoked clove cigarettes.
  • Got ripped off by my Dad who sold me a completely unreliable Dodge Omni for the outlandish price of $1200.
  • Relinquished my self-identity to the Dumb Dummkopf (passive-aggressive, militant vegetarian boyfriend) for 2.5 years.
  • Dumped the Dumb Dummkopf and sailed into my '30s a new woman.
  • Discovered and cultivated my love of hiking.
Not completely pathetic, but I am aware of so many people in their '20s accomplishing far more than I did, like publishing worthwhile magazines or at the very least, funnier, more compelling and arresting blogs than this one.

Do better!











0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|