Friday, August 20, 2004

Creepy Man at Our Door

Around 2 PM yesterday, our doorbell rang, like a minute (or less) after I had retrieved a FedEX envelope containing a check from a client. I don't know if that's just a coincidence or not.

Anyway, the guy at the door was white, 30ish, and neatly dressed (kind of business/casual). As soon as I saw him I told him I was in the middle of my work day, but he still launched into this little speech along the lines of "This is kind of crazy, but I have an office in Jantzen Beach and I'm expanding and I'm looking for people who might need a job, part-time, full-time, flexible hours..."

Who on earth recruits employees by randomly ringing doorbells like that? He'd never given me his name or even explained what type of business he was in! I cut him off and asked him what sort of business and he said "Financial, mortgages, insurance, stuff like that. No experience necessary, I'll be willing to train people."

OK. I told him I didn't know anyone and he left. Dumb me--I didn't look to see where he was going or anything, but I think he headed off across the street.

Now what was going on? At the very least, he was trying to recruit people for some scam business that would end up taking money from them, but maybe it was more sinister than that. Maybe he was trying to ascertain who was home during the day or what kind of person lived in the various houses (e.g., single woman, senior citizen). Anyway, the more I thought about it the more I wished I had watched where he went and then called the police.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|