Sunday, February 13, 2005

Music Thingamajig

It’s nearly 11:00 PM, and I just got back from a PIFF* double header. I’ll write something about the PIFF films Monday night--after I’ve digested all 338 minutes of them.

In the meantime, Jilly tagged me to do this music thingamajig. Now seems a perfect time, as it requires no real exertion on the part of my brain cells. Here it is--revealing me in all my magnificent unhipness and ignorance of what has been going on in the world of pop music for the past 10+ years.

Random Ten Albums from My Collection (I'm listing 10 CDs that happen to be sitting on my desk at this very moment [which means I listened to them recently and was too slothful to put them away]):

1. J.S. Bach – Six Suites for Unaccompanied Cello (Yo-Yo Ma)
2. Monsoon Wedding soundtrack
3. Ella Fitzgerald – The Rogers and Hart Songbook Volume 2
4. Samuel Barber/Charles Ives String Quartets (Emerson String Quartet)
5. Bill Frissell Quartet – Tales from the Far Side
6. Led Zeppelin – Led Zeppelin IV
7. G.F. Handel – Semele (Kathleen Battle, Samuel Ramey, et al and the English Chamber Orchestra)
8. Tom Waits – Rain Dogs
9. Kanda Bongo Man – Zing Zong
10. Miles Davis – Sketches of Spain

What is the total amount of music files on my computer?
One--“Rheinlegendchen” from Gustav Mahler’s Das Knaben Wunderhorn, sung by Thomas Hampson. I have no idea why this is on my computer. B must have put it here.

The last CD I bought is: Enya – A Day Without Rain. Good to decompress to and, hey, my ancestors were Scottish, so it’s in my blood.

What is the song you last listened to before this message? "Manana (Is Soon Enough for Me)" from Mambo Fever (one of those fun, cheesy lounge music CDs)

Five songs that I often listen to or that mean a lot to me (I don't know if these songs actually mean "a lot" to me, but they're all songs I am likely to play several times when I listen to the CD they’re on.):

1. “Lush Life” sung by Ella Fitzgerald and accompanied by Billy Strayhorn.
2. “American Girl” - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
3. “Give It Back to the Indians” sung by Ella
4. “Myself I Shall Adore” from Semele
5. “Cherokee” from Polarity by Jimmy Bruno and Joe Beck

Who are you gonna pass this stick to (5 people)?
Well, I don’t want to limit myself to five people or seem like I'm playing favorites, so if you’re reading this now (i.e., you didn’t run screaming after reading that I bought an Enya album) and the idea of answering these questions on your blog appeals--consider yourself tagged!

*Portland International Film Festival for those of you just tuning in and/or with short memories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|