Thursday, October 26, 2006

Make-up

Popularly Priced Cosmetics

This is my Halloween make-up. It’s been sitting on a shelf in the hall closet for about a week, and every time I open that closet I get a little bit excited about getting to wear this stuff. And a little nervous. I haven't really worn any make-up (other than lipstick) since 5th grade when my mom let me wear some seafoam green eyeshadow to school, probably knowing my classmates would taunt me relentlessly and I'd be cured forever of wanting to wear make-up. That's more or less what happened, so I’m quite unpracticed at applying war paint, although I'm also kind of looking forward to it. Maybe I should practice?

Recall that the starting point for my costume a copper lamé evening gown. So I thought I’d play up the coppery thing with some coppery make-up, that is, if I could find some. Not a problem at all. Both Target and Rite Aid had a wide array of shimmery, sparkly, coppery cosmetics—all popularly priced as well. Bonus!

Who knew they made copper-colored lip gloss? I mean it’s great for my Halloween costume, because it’s just fine if I look weird and otherwordly, but who wears this stuff on an everyday basis? I don’t recall ever seeing anyone with coppery lips (the closest would be this Bond Girl), but now I’ll be on the lookout.

Wish me luck with the eyeliner, by the way. I have a notoriously unsteady hand.

Somewhat related. Maybe this video is all over TV or all over the Internet, but I saw it for the first time today, and I can’t stop thinking about it. If you haven't seen it, watch it. It’s one minute long.


Dove - Evolution Commercial




I’ve always known that make-up (professionally applied, that is) can make a tremendous difference in a person’s appearance, but, naively, I never realized how much digital retouching is done these days. I mean, the woman starts out looking entirely ordinary, a bit peasanty and earthy even—the equivalent of a wholesome Idaho spud. But by the time they get done jacking up her neck (so creepy!), sliding her eyes around on her face, and whittling away flesh from her jaw, they’ve transformed her into an order of McDonald’s french fries. She’s completely soulless, standardized, and processed. And that's our society's standard of beauty. Really tragic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|