Friday, November 17, 2006

Nineteen Years Late

I’ve just recently discovered the band Jane’s Addiction. Yeah, I’m so on top of things. I don’t know what I was doing in the late ‘80s to have missed out on such a great thrashy and seminal band. I guess I was in some kind of Van Halen rut and/or time warp. I got my fill of Van Halen by about 1990 and switched over to opera. I really haven’t been keeping current with rock ‘n’ roll since, even though I love rock ‘n’ roll, at least I always claim to.

I now have in my possession Jane’s Addiction and Strays. I need to get Nothing’s Shocking and Ritual de lo Habitual. Then I should be all set.

“Jane Says” sure is an astounding portrait of inertia, directionlessness, chaos, and impotent anger. I listened to it about 30 times in a row last night while knitting a sweater sleeve. Hopefully, the sleeve won’t have absorbed all the contempt and squalid wretchedness contained in that song. If it does, it’s going to turn out looking something like this, only much, much worse.

Anyway, it would not be an overstatement to say that at the moment I’m addicted to Jane’s Addiction. I did a spot of research on the band and found out that the band is named after one of the lead singer's former roommates, a heroin addict named Jane Bainter.* “Jane Says” is basically a list of actual things Jane said and did as she staggered catastrophically through her junked-out life. The genius of the song, in my opinion, is in the selection and compilation of Janeisms.

Well done, Mr. Perry Farrell. It's a mean song, entirely lacking in empathy, but I'm certain it's accurate.

But what about Jane? I feared that by now she might have self-destructed like the band did. But no. She’s alive and has been clean for 10 years, as of 2003. But at that time she was also jobless and so in need of money that she was attempting to sell autographed Jane’s Addiction album inserts on eBay.

*Don’t a lot of my blog posts contain announcements of facts long known to everyone else in the world but me? Look for a post from me in about five months’ time stating that Dick Cheney has resigned.

Today’s Random NaBloPoMo blog: So…What Else, What Else, What Else?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|