Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Going Lowbrow

I don’t really know what brain fever is, and I am too lazy to look it up, but I think I may have had a touch of it last week. I continue to feel its lingering effects.

On Monday evening, as I was driving to the Red & Black Cafe to meet up with fellow knitting fiend PF, I found myself turning off “All Things Considered” on NPR in favor of Van Halen on Portland’s Most Hideous Classic Rock Station. At the cafe, PF and I proceeded to intermittently eat, drink, knit, and talk, but as soon as it was announced that open mic poetry reading would be starting in 10 minutes, I insisted that we evacuate to the sidewalk tables immediately!

If further evidence is needed of my dwindling capacity for intellectual pursuits, I could mention that I’ve finally admitted to myself that I’ve been reading the same page of Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West for the past week and have not retained a single fact. I need to return it to the library and stop depriving anyone who might be eagery waiting to devour it. Perhaps I will replace it with Daughter of the Queen of Sheba, a memoir about Jacki Lyden’s crazy mom. Because Jacki Lyden is a senior correspondent for NPR, this would, of course, only qualify as semi-lowbrow, although just to make sure I don’t overtax myself, maybe I should get the audiobook version. Pass the tater tots!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|