Thursday, November 18, 2004

Shopping on an Empty Stomach

My mom always advised me against going to the grocery store when hungry. Excellent advice.

I almost never follow it.

I’ve been spending waaaaay too much time blogging lately and have been letting other things slide, e.g., there’s a hat to be knit; two toilets, three sinks, and a bathtub to be scoured; friends to be hung out with; trails to be hiked; a garden to be winterized and--most shamefully--a suitcase to be unpacked (Yep. I got back from Chicago Monday night; my time-management skills need work.)

So in lieu of one of my usual long-winded posts, here’s a meme of my own devising that required almost no thought and certainly no burnishing. (No snide comments, please, if you think it’s feeble.)

What are the top three things you’re most likely to buy if you go to the supermarket on an empty stomach? Mine are:
  • an apple fritter
  • spicy tuna maki
  • eggnog (when “in season”)

10 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

• caramel apples with peanuts (in season)
• garlic-parmesan toasts
• those little Archway butter cookies with Key lime filling

or, more often...

• just too much food in general

9:21 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

P.S. Have you tried the Horizon Organic eggnog? With, say, George Dickel No. 12? :-)

9:22 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Jamie, There's some Horizon Organic E-nog in the fridge right now. Guess what? I don't know what George Dickel #12 is. Just one of my (many) culture gaps. I'm guessing it's some kind of liquor that can get one looped in short order.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

In a "real" supermarket,

Hard crust Kaiser rolls

Brie

Bottle of Yellowtail - hmmm - possibly a Merlot , no, a Shiraz, ah heck, one of each.

Sharon

6:26 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Bourbon...the brand my dad favored. No. 8 is their regular sour mash, and No. 12 is the "sippin'" whiskey.

I'm not much of a drinker, despite being a bartender. I had to go out to the liquor store and purchase a bottle specifically for the 'nog!

6:37 AM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Sharon, Your impulse buys actually would make a nice little meal. Now I want to run out and buy some brie.

Jamie, Thanks for the explanation! I really am clueless about these things. I stick with beer and wine for the most part. Whiskey makes me break the law.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Jen, Thanks for introducing a nonedibles category. I must say, I'm guilty of unplanned candle purchases as well.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Betsy said...

Hah! I also have eggnog in my refrigerator, and yes, it was an impulse purchase (I spiked mine with Bushmills the other night - an Irish whiskey that's also great in tea.)

I'd add some kind of cheese and some kind of cracker to my list of impulse buys.

Oh, and maybe a maple bar.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Mmm, hungry shopping. At Freddy's, it's a Reeses Fastbreak bar, a over-sized can of Coors Light, and a pack of pseudo-sushi. Always hits the spot...

3:54 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Betsy, I appreciate that you explained what Bushmill's is! I may have heard of it. I polished off the last of the eggnog this evening. Time to buy more!


Pieman, I think Freddie's sushi is pretty good. It looks even better when I'm hungry and don't want to cook.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|