Thursday, February 28, 2008

On Top of Tabor

Work has been erratic and/or slow. Such is the life of a freelancer. I don't mind one bit because today was a gloriously warm and clear day. I took myself off to the Hawthorne neighborhood and headed straight for Mount Tabor, one of Portland's extinct volcanoes/city parks.

There's nothing like great Portland weather to make me really, really, really appreciate the choices I've made in life, e.g., moving to Portland in the first place (brava!) and being my own boss.

Some sights from today's walk:

Plenty More of These to Come

The first flush of daffodils is here. That arresting sunny yellow color is hard to beat.

Mount Tabor Reservoir

One of the Mount Tabor Reservoirs.

Reservoir Cop

Reservoir cop on a Segway. I guess he's preventing criminals from poisoning Portland's water supply.

The Sky from the Top of Mount Tabor

Gorgeous cirrus clouds today. This is what I saw when I looked up from the top of Tabor. One of my favorite things about this park is that anyone you see on top of Tabor got there under his or her own power. Cars are not allowed to drive to the top! There's a gate maybe a quarter of a mile before the top. Walkers, joggers, cyclists, skateboarders, dogs, and parents with strollers can all get through the gate but cars are banned, outlawed, and forbidden. I love that. That means that you can enjoy the grand view at the top without having to hear, see, or smell cars. That means that people can sit up there on a beautiful day--such as today--with a little picnic basket and a couple of glasses (real glasses) of white wine. I saw some people doing just that. Lovely.

It would not be lovely at all if cars were allowed. I know I already said that.

Sun-dappled Forest

Mount Tabor isn't wilderness, but it is very woodsy with many trees of more-than-respectable girth.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

<< Home

|