Sunday, March 25, 2007

Latch on to the Affirmative


Gold Bunny
Originally uploaded by Rozanne.
I spend too much time complaining, criticizing, and being negative. My whole family is like this. I grew up with it and, by now, I’m super good at it.

It really comes across in my blog, as I'm sure I don't need to tell any of you.

Anyway, I’ve resolved to focus on the positive things in my life (of which there are many), and to make a concerted effort to look at the big picture instead of zeroing in this or that particle of festering discontentment and then writing a 1,000-word blog entry about it.

Actually, I should have mentioned that there is one person in my family who avoided the vortex of negativity and that person is my sister.

She’s a metalsmith and jewelry maker, and if anyone has the right to succumb to negative thinking it would be my sister. It’s not easy to make a living as an artist. She’s had to deal with lots of rejection and with the whim and pique of art fair curators. She’s also had to listen closed-lipped while potential customers slag off her work, evidently thinking that she can’t hear them! WTF?

She has had to get a day job now, but she still makes art. She recently discovered Etsy, an online showcase for artists and crafters to exhibit and sell their work. Marstinia (my sister) is totally obsessed with it and is finding that it's a much better venue for selling her work than art fairs or local boutiques ever were. Her work is and always has been fabulous and I’m not just saying this because she’s my sister. Take a look, and you’ll see. Note, too, the upbeat tone of the copy she’s written for each piece. That’s just the way she is—always accentuating the positive and eliminating the negative. I’m thrilled that Etsy is working out so well for her. I must also admit that I’ve become ever-so-slightly addicted to Etsy myself. People are out there making the coolest creations! I’m definitely going to do as much of my gift shopping as I can on Etsy. Why buy mass-produced stuff when you can get something handmade and support hard-working artists and the crafters?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

<< Home

|