Monday, June 18, 2007

Hairstyles That Should Not Be

OK. I know it’s the 30th anniversary of Star Wars and all, but does that explain why every guy between the ages of 15 and 35 is sporting a Mark Hamill/Luke Skywalker “hairstyle” all of a sudden? Have you noticed?

I rewatched Star Wars when it was re-released to theatres for the 20th or 25th anniversary, and I remember just being completely distracted by Mark Hamill’s hair. Weren’t the 1970s the Golden Age of the Blow-dryer? It’s really shocking to think that a Hollywood hairstylist would have let an actor get away with hair like that back then. Even the most cursory use of a blow-dryer should have kept some of those whacked-out wings and random flip-curls from forming.

And now everywhere I go it’s Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars, on every guy’s head. What’s the deal with that? It’s like zombies from my old junior high school yearbook are skateboarding down the streets. Spooky.

Anyway, I guess I shouldn’t talk. There was a brief period during the 1980s when, making one of my inept stabs at fashion, I got myself an asymmetrical haircut. The result, I’m afraid, made me look like an androgynous, vaguely Weimar Republic-ish personage. Not really the look I was going for. After that, I tripped obliviously through the rest of the ‘80s with a gigantic and damaged perm.

The reason these memories are fresh in my mind is that I’ve been invited to an ’80s-themed party, so I've been doing some research. I no longer own any of the acid-washed jeans or vintage Cyndi Lauper-style dresses I favored back then, which means, thankfully, that I’m not going to be able to dress as my former self, but I thought that at least I could bring some photos for everyone to laugh at. The ‘80s were not my finest moment, that’s for sure.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|